Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Cells: Structure experiments ...






One of my initial designs last week used coloured tissue paper glued onto black paper. After drying, it was enhanced with waxed crayons & ink.









Apart from 'transparency', I'm also experimenting with 'light & movement'.

With this in mind, I confirmed particular lighting conditions enhanced 'hidden' colours & movement displayed them (ie. appearing & disappearing).





I then wanted to 'extend' the design. First thoughts were to provide the appearance of 'looking into' the first design. I added strips of pre-printed paper above & below, then hand-made slightly textured paper (with inked edges) to the sides.









Next, to continue the extended cell structure, I added other paper 'panels' above & below the existing one:
At the top edge (in pink), handmade paper on cotton scrim - the fabric edges created 'banding'.
At the lower edge(for more banding) another of my paper & scrim off-cuts (visible to the left) & one of the previously made 'nucleus' shapes (in waxed crayon on paper).

Although 'in the hand', the sample looks a little clumsy, on screen it has achieved exactly what I'm trying to do 'in my head'.